Dreams Resorts Sharm El Sheikh
2020 – 2021
Sustainability is the process of living within the limits of available physical, natural and social resources in ways that allow the living systems in which humans are embedded to thrive in perpetuity.
The influence of the devastative human activity shouldn`t be ignored.
We should contribute every day to the preservation of our natural environment.
We should always remember that environmental pollution is an incurable disease.
It can only be prevented.
We all moan and groan about the loss of the quality of life through the destruction of our ecology, and yet every one of us, in our own little comfortable ways, contributes daily to that destruction.
It’s time now to awaken in each one of us the respect and attention our beloved Mother deserves
Dreams Resorts sustainability strategy is developed to cope with its stature and the new sustainability demands and social community and governmental strategies and to show its commitment and dedication towards responsible tourism and sustainable development.
The years 2020 and 2021 did not witness significant progress in the field of sustainability due to the negative impact of the COVID19 on the economic situation all over the world.
However, Dreams Resorts properties have managed to continue in achieving significant result in terms of sustainability.
The commitment of the hotels has shown very encouraging results, a special thanks to each and every one who took part of this action.
Corporate Social Responsibility
“We are always keen on engaging positively with local community service & sustainability initiatives” it is not just a slogan rather than a way of life and a deep belief in our responsibilities towards the community, therefore Dreams Resorts constantly develops and enhances its annual agenda to fulfill ,in different ways, the community new circumstances and demands.
Below are some of the activities we underwent within our community.
Dreams Resorts employees are fully aware of the company responsibilities and commitments, they do realize that they are involved in it, so we donate to the following Hospitals:-
- Magdy Yakoub Hospital for Hearts’ diseases.
- 777 National Institute for cancers.
- Urology Nephrology Center ( El Mansoura )
- 57357 Hospital for children cancer.
- 500500 Hospital for Cancer.
2-Community Commitments :-
- The participation of Sharm El-Sheikh community in the Iftar Ramadan celebration at Sharm International Hospital.
The participation of Sharm El-Sheikh community in Xmas celebration in Sharm Cathedral.
- Hosting The Church orphans kids for a complimentary days use.
Fixing the damaged carpentry issues in Al Azhar educational Institute.
- Hosting 25 complimentary rooms during (Sinai is the capital of religious tourism celebration).
- Offered the Conference Hall free of charge for Sharm El Sheikh Youth Theater Festival ( 200 pax, different nationalities )
- Hosting (Bella Egypt program) c/o Nile TV.
- Offered the Conference Hall free of charge for Ministry of Health meeting with HR managers of Sharm Hotels ( 50 Pax ) 25.03.2021
- Offered the Conference Hall free of charge for the Sharm GM’s meeting (05.05.2021)
- Offered the Conference Hall free of charge for (Biodiversity Conservation Project) conference c/o Ministry of Environment & United Nations Development Programme (03.12.2021)
- Offered the Conference Hall free of charge for Ministry of Interior Affairs meeting (11.12.2021
- The participation of Earth Hour Event on 28.03.2020 & 27.03.2021
3- Beach Cleanup day:-
- We made Beach cleanup day ( on the beach & under water every 6 months ( in January & July )
4- Hotel Info Channel:-
Another platform that we are targeting to use as an environment educational tool for our customers and a replacement for most of the hard copies information inside the guests’ rooms.
5- Reducing Plastic Waste:-
Plastic waste is fast becoming a widely recognized problem. While it is an important material for our economy, providing multiple benefits to modern day living, plastic can take hundreds of years to biodegrade.
It takes up valuable space in landfill sites and is polluting the natural environment.
Most types of plastic are in fact recyclable, but most municipal governments do not have the infrastructure in place to carry out this energy-intensive process.
Recycling plastic not only requires large amounts of energy but also uses large quantities of water.
Dreams Resorts took already the initiative to:-
- Replace whatever can be replaced from plastic items, starting with the plastic straw, stirrer & hand bracelet.
- We return all the chemical containers to the chemical suppliers to reuse it,
- We recycle some plastic containers as a garbage pins or in garden issues.
Staying compliant isn’t easiest at the best of times, but if your staff isn’t aware of what they need to do to stay compliant, it can become even more challenging.
Environmental training isn’t the magic bullet to solve everything, but it will give your staff essential knowledge to carry out their jobs in a way that protects the environment and helps ensure compliance
Therefore, training programme is one of Dreams Resorts yearly concepts that aim to refresh our staff minds and including the new hiring staff so they could have a full idea on our vision.
We conducted Green Star awareness training in Dreams Resorts not only through the Ministry of Tourism, but also an internal training by the departmental heads.
- In Dreams Resorts we have 520 employees (including 99 employees with open contracts – about 20% from the staff spent nearly 24 years working in the resorts).
- During 2020 & 2021 & despite the Corona Virus attacks bad effects, salaries had been raised twice to start with 3000 LE (Package salary).
- 12 from our old & active staff had been promoted after taking the necessary training.
- During the summer time we hired about 150 faculties & schools students with full benefits & salaries.
- We joined all the Ministry of Tourism Training Programme.
8-Saving Water :-
Fixed water meters in Laundry, Staff Cafeterias, Health Clubs, DV Main Kitchen, Mexican Kitchen, Clusters 29, 31, 56 & 57.
- Changed steel pipes by poly pipes in 305 rooms.
- An inverter was installed for the main water pumps to maintain the water pressure instead of the balloons that were causing the water pipes to break, which leads to the waste of large amounts of water, in addition to a very large saving in the expenses of repairing water lines.
- 25% of the types of plants that consume high water have been replaced by plants and crops that need less water.
- Many basins of green areas were beautified with gravel in order to avoid high water consumption for irrigation.
- Curtains were installed on the front of the receptions & DV restaurant to avoid the heat of the sun and to maintain the central air conditioning.
- Air curtains and plastic strip curtains have been installed for all cold and freezing rooms, Kitchen & restaurants’ entrances.
- A gasoline-powered car was replaced by an electric car.
- Changing DV swimming pools normal lights ( 300 Watt ) by LED ( 18 Watt ).
10-Resources Consumption Target:-
We usually dream big, so we can achieve super results…
Below figures show our targets for 2022
Electricity: 15-20 kwh/PPN
Water: 450-350 liters/PPN
CO2: less than 20 Kg/ PPN
Reduce plastic waste to the minimum.
11-Our Action Plan for 2022-2024:
- Sun reflecting devices (UV resistant foils) will be installed in areas exposed to direct sun light in lobbies, restaurant…. etc.”
- Install Alternative water filtration or disinfection systems for swimming pool (Ozone).
- To buy a plastic chopper
- To replace the rest of power saving lamps by LED lamps at the Gardens & landscape areas.
- Desalinated water is filtered and used as drinking water instead of plastic bottles by installing a central UV system at the main kitchen
- Motion sensors will be installed in hotel corridors